4/12/2012

On this day..

On this day 100 years ago, the Titanic was on it's way to America. Everyone was happy, and enjoying the luxurious ocean liner. But that all soon changed. Only  two days after it's maiden voyage, the Titanic hit an iceberg around 11:40 PM. Everyone was ushered to the top deck and given life jackets. No one believed the unsinkable Titanic was sinking. So they were told it was just a drill. Two hours and forty minutes later at 2:15 AM , the Titanic's  bow went down into the ocean, bringing the back of the boat into a vertical line. Some books say that the boat stood still for a few moments. Others say it went down immediately.  After it plunged into the dark cold ocean, survivors had to wait 4-6 hours for the Carpathia to arrive. I can't even imagine.


When I was eleven years old I became interested in sunken ships. So of course the first one I found was the Titanic. I was so intrigued  I read every book in my library about it. And every other library.
I continued to study it for a while. When I was fifteen, my Mom let me watch some of the movie.
I was amazed. Sure I had studied about it for a long time, but I never could  imagine it. The movie painted it perfectly and it put a personal touch to it. I wanted to cry. I couldn't believe it. I still can't.
When I watched the movie, I continued to study more, and every time I read more, I could actually see it. To this day I still read about the Titanic and I still see that awful tragedy and I see the terror watching the boat go down.

I'm sorry if this isn't a happy post, but I wanted to write about it today it being the 100th anniversary .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead. Make me smile. ♥